The Program, focusing on the political economy of sub-Saharan Africa, has a research component and an information component. Research: study of African political institutions; the political determinants of investment and economic growth; and the relationships between ethnicity, human capital, institutions, political participations and violence. Information: surveying, collecting and centralizing comparable political economic data on sub-Saharan Africa:
* A Data area presents a number of the most commonly used publicly available variables used in the study of African political economy.
* A Links area provides a gateway for students looking for further political and economic data.
* A Samples area contains a number of graphical representations of some political variables of interest. The area contains movie-maps of Africa that chart the occurrence of coups, guerrilla warfare and demonstrations over time. ... [editors ilissAfrica; according to site editor's information]
The HSRC is South Africa's statutory research agency. It conducts research that generates critical and independent knowledge relative to all aspects of human and social development. It supports development nationally, in the Southern African Development Community (SADC) and in Africa. The HSRC aligns its research activities and structures to South Africa's national development priorities: notably poverty reduction through economic development, skills enhancement, job creation, the elimination of discrimination and inequalities, and effective service delivery. ... [according to site editor's information]
The Economic Research Programme of the Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA) is a programme for the advancement of research on African economies and for the renewal of development-oriented economic traditions in Africa. The programme combines the critical reflection on the economy, politics and society. ... [according to site editor's information]
The CSR is a research institution within the Faculty of Social Science of the University of Malawi in Zomba. It undertakes both basic and applied research so as to generate information on priority problems of the country and channel the information to policy makers and planners. Main fields of research are:
- Poverty and sustainable livelihoods
- Environmental management and access to natural resources
- Social and cultural dimensions of public health
- Democracy and governance ... [according to site editor's information]
En tant que centre de recherches économiques et sociales, le CIRES conduit essentiellement deux types d'activités complémentaires. D'une part, il réalise des travaux de recherches dans les domaines de l'économie et de la sociologie à travers ses divisions et cellules de recherche. D'autre part, il conduit des programmes de formation qui sont tous du niveau 3ème cycle. On note à ce niveau que le CIRES abrite un programme de doctorat en économie qui a accueilli des étudiants en provenance de la plupart des pays d'Afrique noire francophone. ... [selon les informations de l'éditeur du site]
Le CEPAS été créé pour assurer le lien entre l'Etude et l'Action sociale :
* pour dégager, à partir d'une connaissance approfondie des réalités politiques, économiques, sociales et culturelles du Congo, les éléments d'une doctrine de promotion de la justice et du développement inspirée par l'Evangile.
* pour contribuer à l'effort d'étude économique et sociale au Congo, par l'analyse de la société, de ses structures et des conditions d'un véritable développement.
Le Centre publie la revue Congo-Afrique. ... [selon les informations de l'éditeur du site; rédaction ilissAfrica]
ASA Online provides a quarterly overview of journal articles and edited works on Africa in the field of the social sciences and the humanities available in the ASC library. [according to site editor's information]
You can look for literature either in the general catalogue of the German Institute of Global and Area Studies or in the special catalogues of the regional special libraries, including Africa. Additionally, you can find lists of new acquisitions and online bibliographies on special topics. [editors ilissAfrica]
IDS is a multipurpose and multi-disciplinary institute within the University of Nairobi's College of Humanities and Social Sciences. It focuses on social and economic issues of development in Kenya, the rest of Africa and the world. In addition to initiating its own academic and policy-oriented research, IDS provides research services to government, non-governmental organizations, and the private sector. ... [according to site editor's information]
CERDES is a NGO based in Bamako with an office in Bethesda, MD (Washington, DC). It was founded in 1991, at the margin of the historical national conference which took place in July and August 1991, to set up a new constitution and electoral code, a chart for multi-party system and the state of the nation. [according to site editor's information]