The UN Integrated Bureau for Burundi was created to assist the Government in its efforts towards peace and stability, through coherent and coordinated response of the UN System in Burundi. BINUB concentrates its activities on four domains:
* Peace consolidation and democratic governance;
* Disarmament, demobilization, reinsertion and reform of the security sector;
* Promotion and protection of human rights and measures to end impunity;
* Donors and United Nations agency coordination. ... [according to site editor's information]
L'ONUCI est une opération de maintien de la paix sous le Chapitre VII de la Charte des Nations Unies. Le déploiement en Côte d'Ivoire adébuté en avril 2004. Le mandat de l'ONUCI est entre autres :
- observer et surveiller l'application de l'accord de cessez-le-feu global du 3 mai 2003 et de la déclaration conjointe de fin de guerre en date du 6 avril 2005, qui a résulté de l'Accord de Pretoria, et contrôler les mouvements des groupes armés.
- contribuer au rétablissement de la confiance entre les forces en présence.
- aider le Gouvernement à surveiller les frontières, en prêtant une attention particulière à la situation des réfugiés libériens et aux mouvements de combattants.
- aider le Gouvernement de réconciliation nationale à procéder au regroupement de toutes les forces ivoiriennes concernées par le désarmement, la démobilisation et la réinsertion (DDR) des combattants. ... [selon les informations de l'éditeur du site; éditeurs ilissAfrica]
The mission of OSAA is to:
* enhance international support for Africa's development and security through its advocacy and analytical work,
* assist the Secretary General in improving coherence and coordination of the UN system support to Africa, and
* facilitate inter-governmental deliberations on Africa at the global level, in particular relating to the New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD).
The Office takes the lead in the preparation of Africa-related reports and inputs on NEPAD. ... [according to site editor's information]
MONUSCO took over from an earlier UN peacekeeping operation – the United Nations Organization Mission in Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUC) – on 1 July 2010. It was done in accordance with Security Council resolution 1925 of 28 May to reflect the new phase reached in the country.The new mission has been authorized to use all necessary means to carry out its mandate relating, among other things, to the protection of civilians, humanitarian personnel and human rights defenders under imminent threat of physical violence and to support the Government of the DRC in its stabilization and peace consolidation efforts.
The site informs about the mandate and activities of MONUSCO. ... [according to site editor's information; editors ilissAfrica]
Large parts of West Africa have experienced instability and conflict for several years. In response to an ECOWAS leaders call for a sub-regional approach to peace and security the UN Security Council has established UNOWA - the first UN regional peace-building office. Its mandate ist to harmonize UN activities and to promote the integration of a sub-regional approach to peace and security. ... [editors ilissAfrica]
The IGAD mission is to assist and complement the efforts of the Member States to achieve, through increased cooperation:
* Food Security and environmental protection
* Promotion and maintenance of peace and security and humanitarian affairs, and,
* Economic cooperation and integration.
IGAD is to be the premier regional organization for achieving peace, prosperity and regional integration in the IGAD region. ... [according to site editor's information]
The KAIPTC aims to be a Regional Centre of Excellence where education, training and research concerning peace operations are to be delivered to the highest academic and professional standards. Participants embrace the full spectrum of military, security sector, diplomatic and non-governmental agencies likely to be involved in peace operations. KAIPTC offers Ghanaian, regional and international participants the opportunity to examine specific peace operations issues at the operational level and to update and share their knowledge of the latest practices through conferences, discussions, lectures and computer assisted training exercises. ... [according to site editor's information; Redaktion ilissAfrica]
The African Security Sector Network (ASSN) was created at Elmina, Ghana in November 2003, out of a recognition of the need to harmonise the activities of the various African organisations working in the area of security sector reform (or transformation) and governance. [...] the ASSN does not see itself as a ‘civil society organisation’ in the conventional sense, but rather as a multidisciplinary network spanning academics, think-tanks, civil society organisations (CSOs), security practitioners (active and retired), members of parliament, and so on. A principal objective is to bridge the often substantial gap between these stakeholders (in particular, between academics and practitioners, and between CSOs and state-based actors) while harnessing their collective expertise, and enabling experiences from different traditions of security organisation and practice (anglophone, francophone and lusophone) to be shared. ... [according to site editor's information]
The United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) is a new U.S. military headquarters devoted solely to Africa. It is designed to enable US government institutions to work in concert and with partners to achieve a more stable environment in which political and economic growth can take place. Africa Command will focus on war prevention rather than war-fighting. Africa Command intends to work with African nations and African organizations to build regional security and crisis-response capacity in support of U.S. government efforts in Africa. ... [according to site editor's information; editors ilissAfrica]
The Institute for Security Studies with its head office in Pretoria, South Africa, and offices in Kenya, Ethiopia and Senegal offers a huge range of resources concerning security topics in Africa (e.g. more than 200 e-books since 1996, studies, audio material, journals, news, ....). All of this is available online for free. [editors ilissAfrica]