UNMIL was established by Security Council resolution in September 2003 with the following mandate:
* Support for Implementation of the Ceasefire Agreement
* Protection of United Nations Staff, Facilities and Civilians
* Support for Humanitarian and Human Rights Assistance
* Support for Security Reform
* Support for Implementation of the Peace Process
The site gives access to numerous documents. ... [according to site editor's information]
L'ONUCI est une opération de maintien de la paix sous le Chapitre VII de la Charte des Nations Unies. Le déploiement en Côte d'Ivoire adébuté en avril 2004. Le mandat de l'ONUCI est entre autres :
- observer et surveiller l'application de l'accord de cessez-le-feu global du 3 mai 2003 et de la déclaration conjointe de fin de guerre en date du 6 avril 2005, qui a résulté de l'Accord de Pretoria, et contrôler les mouvements des groupes armés.
- contribuer au rétablissement de la confiance entre les forces en présence.
- aider le Gouvernement à surveiller les frontières, en prêtant une attention particulière à la situation des réfugiés libériens et aux mouvements de combattants.
- aider le Gouvernement de réconciliation nationale à procéder au regroupement de toutes les forces ivoiriennes concernées par le désarmement, la démobilisation et la réinsertion (DDR) des combattants. ... [selon les informations de l'éditeur du site; éditeurs ilissAfrica]
Large parts of West Africa have experienced instability and conflict for several years. In response to an ECOWAS leaders call for a sub-regional approach to peace and security the UN Security Council has established UNOWA - the first UN regional peace-building office. Its mandate ist to harmonize UN activities and to promote the integration of a sub-regional approach to peace and security. ... [editors ilissAfrica]
The mission of OSAA is to:
* enhance international support for Africa's development and security through its advocacy and analytical work,
* assist the Secretary General in improving coherence and coordination of the UN system support to Africa, and
* facilitate inter-governmental deliberations on Africa at the global level, in particular relating to the New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD).
The Office takes the lead in the preparation of Africa-related reports and inputs on NEPAD. ... [according to site editor's information]
MONUSCO took over from an earlier UN peacekeeping operation – the United Nations Organization Mission in Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUC) – on 1 July 2010. It was done in accordance with Security Council resolution 1925 of 28 May to reflect the new phase reached in the country.The new mission has been authorized to use all necessary means to carry out its mandate relating, among other things, to the protection of civilians, humanitarian personnel and human rights defenders under imminent threat of physical violence and to support the Government of the DRC in its stabilization and peace consolidation efforts.
The site informs about the mandate and activities of MONUSCO. ... [according to site editor's information; editors ilissAfrica]
The KAIPTC aims to be a Regional Centre of Excellence where education, training and research concerning peace operations are to be delivered to the highest academic and professional standards. Participants embrace the full spectrum of military, security sector, diplomatic and non-governmental agencies likely to be involved in peace operations. KAIPTC offers Ghanaian, regional and international participants the opportunity to examine specific peace operations issues at the operational level and to update and share their knowledge of the latest practices through conferences, discussions, lectures and computer assisted training exercises. ... [according to site editor's information; Redaktion ilissAfrica]
The IGAD mission is to assist and complement the efforts of the Member States to achieve, through increased cooperation:
* Food Security and environmental protection
* Promotion and maintenance of peace and security and humanitarian affairs, and,
* Economic cooperation and integration.
IGAD is to be the premier regional organization for achieving peace, prosperity and regional integration in the IGAD region. ... [according to site editor's information]
The Institute for Security Studies with its head office in Pretoria, South Africa, and offices in Kenya, Ethiopia and Senegal offers a huge range of resources concerning security topics in Africa (e.g. more than 200 e-books since 1996, studies, audio material, journals, news, ....). All of this is available online for free. [editors ilissAfrica]
"The Swiss Peace Foundation is a practice-oriented peace research institute. We analyze the causes of violent conflicts and develop strategies for their peaceful transformation." On its Sudan Platform, you will find several fulltext articles and further information on the Foundation about its research on and in the Sudan. [according to site editor’s information] ... [supplemented]
Following UN Security Council Resolutions that considered the conflicts in the region to be a threat to international peace and security the ICGLR was established in 2000. The ICGLR's objective is to bring all the countries of the region together, to agree on a strategy thats brings peace and prosperity to the Great Lakes region. The work concentrates on
- Peace and Security
- Democracy and Good Governance
- Economic Development and Regional Integration
- Humanitarian, Social and Environmental Issues.
The ICGLR comprises eleven core countries (Angola, Burundi, Central African Republic, Congo (Kinshasa), Congo (Brazzaville), Kenya, Rwanda, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia, co-opted countries (Botswana, Egypt, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia and Zimbabwe) and the "Group of Friends" (mainly Western countries). ... [according to site editor's information; editors ilissAfrica]