Créé en 1973 pendant une période de sécheresse touchant la région afin de mobiliser les populations sahéliennes et la communauté internationale autour de l'aide d'urgence, le CILSS a recentré ses activités depuis 1990 autour de la sécurité alimentaire et de la gestion des ressources naturelles. Son objectif général est
* la formulation, l'analyse, la coordination et l'harmonisation des stratégies et politiques ;
* le renforcement de la coopération scientifique et technique ;
* la collecte, le traitement et la diffusion des informations ;
* le renforcement des capacités des différents acteurs, y compris le secteur privé ;
* la capitalisation et la diffusion des expériences et des acquis ;
* l'accompagnement dans la mise en oeuvre des stratégies, des politiques et des programmes. ... [selon les informations de l'éditeur du site; rédaction ilissAfrica]
Christian Mission Aid is a non-denominational, non-profit organization working on relief and development projects in Kenya, Uganda and Sudan. CMA’s primary focus is to help others help themselves. It works in partnership with donors and supporters, Christian Missions, Churches, and other NGOs. The goal is to provide assistance, training, and resources so that the people it serves can continue along the path to self-sufficiency. ... [according to site editor's information; editors ilissAfrica]
The IGAD mission is to assist and complement the efforts of the Member States to achieve, through increased cooperation:
* Food Security and environmental protection
* Promotion and maintenance of peace and security and humanitarian affairs, and,
* Economic cooperation and integration.
IGAD is to be the premier regional organization for achieving peace, prosperity and regional integration in the IGAD region. ... [according to site editor's information]
PLAAS does research, policy engagement, teaching and training about the dynamics of chronic poverty and structural inequality in Southern Africa, with a particular emphasis on the key role of restructuring and contesting land holding and agro-food systems in the subcontinent and beyond. The focus is on the analysis of marginalised livelihoods in Southern Africa, especially of subsistence and smallholder farmers and farm workers, of coastal and inland artisanal fisheries and fishing communities; and of informal self employment in rural and urban areas. ... [According to site editor's information]
The mission of the International Food Policy Research Institute is to identify and analyze policies for sustainably meeting the food needs of the developing world. Research at IFPRI concentrates on economic growth and poverty alleviation in low-income countries, improvement of the well-being of poor people, and sound management of the natural resource base that supports agriculture. IFPRI seeks to make its research results available to all those in a position to use them and to strengthen institutions in developing countries that conduct research relevant to its mandate.
IFPRI's discussion papers are available fulltext on the site. A varietyof country-specific datasets are provided on request. ... [According to site editor's information]
The purpose of the Forum for Food Security in Southern Africa, which has operated since 2003, is to provide a platform for improved linkages between food security analysis, policy making and implementation in the Southern Africa region. The outputs of country issues papers, regional theme papers, international electronic discussions and country policy seminars are intended to generate insights and policy options drawing on longitudinal research in the region and comparative international evidence that it is hoped will prove useful to stakeholders.
The platform covers the region as a whole and five specific countries: Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe. It has brought together those in government, official donors, NGOs, civil society, the private sector, and international and regional researchers concerned with food security.
Related documents are downloadable. ... [according to site editor's information; editors ilissAfrica]
AREU is unit of the Food and Agricultural Research Council (FARC), a parastatal organisation operating under the aegis of the Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources in Mauritius. Its mission is to serve the non-sugar agricultural sector (crop and livestock) through excellence in cost-effective high-quality research and extension for better agricultural production, and to meet the policy requirements of the government in terms of agricultural diversification and food production generally. ... [according to site editor's information; editors ilissAfrica]
L'INSAH est une institution spécialisée du Comité Permanent Inter Etats de lutte contre la Sécheresse dans le Sahel (CILSS). Son mandat est de coordonner, d'harmoniser et de promouvoir les études et recherches sur l'agriculture, l'environnement, les marchés et les questions de population/développement. [selon les informations de l'éditeur du site]
UNU-INRA undertakes research, education and information-sharing activities that
* advance food security by challenging African scientists to collaborate with UNU-INRA to: (a) develop new knowledge and validate/disseminate the indigenous knowledge of African farmers, herders and forest dwellers, (b) add value to Africa's primary products through applied science and technology and (c) focus on education and training of young scientists in cutting-edge science.
* Link natural resource knowledge to policy formulation, problem-solving, and long-term planning processes.
* Emphasize the critical role played by African women in the conservation and management of natural resources.
Currently, UNU-INRA's activities focus on four main thematic areas:(1) Climate, water, land, (2) Biodiversity, medicinal plants, (3) Innovations, socio-economics, policy, and (4) Capacity building ... [according to site editor's information]
The AGRHYMET Regional Centre is a specialized institute of the Permanent Interstate Committee for Drought Control in the Sahel (CILSS). Its primary objectives are:
* to contribute to achieving food security and increased agricultural production in the CILSS member States
* to improve natural resource management in the Sahelian region
by providing training and information to development stakeholders and partners in agroecology taken as a whole (agroclimatology, hydrology, crop protection). It is specialized in the science and techniques applied to agricultural development, rural development and natural resource management. ... [according to site editor's information]