International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. Its objective is to strengthen democratic institutions and processes.
It acts as a catalyst for democracy building by providing knowledge resources, expertise and a platform for debate on democracy issues. It works together with policy makers, donor governments, UN organizations and agencies, regional organizations and others engaged in democracy building.
* Knowledge resources, in the form of expert networks, databases, handbooks and websites;
* Policy proposals to provoke debate and action on democracy;
* Assistance with democratic reform in response to specific national requests.
[according to site editor's information]
Research papers, some in French, are downloadable....
Funded by Western donors the mission of IED is to promote democracy through programmes in the electoral process, voter education, research and dissemination programmes. IED seeks to
* contribute towards the realisation of the conduct of free and fair elections,* enhance the creation of an informed voting population,
* develop and facilitate the availability of scientific and technical information relating to the electoral process. ... [editors ilissAfrica; according to site editor's information]