Large parts of West Africa have experienced instability and conflict for several years. In response to an ECOWAS leaders call for a sub-regional approach to peace and security the UN Security Council has established UNOWA - the first UN regional peace-building office. Its mandate ist to harmonize UN activities and to promote the integration of a sub-regional approach to peace and security. ... [editors ilissAfrica]
UNMIL was established by Security Council resolution in September 2003 with the following mandate:
* Support for Implementation of the Ceasefire Agreement
* Protection of United Nations Staff, Facilities and Civilians
* Support for Humanitarian and Human Rights Assistance
* Support for Security Reform
* Support for Implementation of the Peace Process
The site gives access to numerous documents. ... [according to site editor's information]
The IGAD mission is to assist and complement the efforts of the Member States to achieve, through increased cooperation:
* Food Security and environmental protection
* Promotion and maintenance of peace and security and humanitarian affairs, and,
* Economic cooperation and integration.
IGAD is to be the premier regional organization for achieving peace, prosperity and regional integration in the IGAD region. ... [according to site editor's information]
L'ONUCI est une opération de maintien de la paix sous le Chapitre VII de la Charte des Nations Unies. Le déploiement en Côte d'Ivoire adébuté en avril 2004. Le mandat de l'ONUCI est entre autres :
- observer et surveiller l'application de l'accord de cessez-le-feu global du 3 mai 2003 et de la déclaration conjointe de fin de guerre en date du 6 avril 2005, qui a résulté de l'Accord de Pretoria, et contrôler les mouvements des groupes armés.
- contribuer au rétablissement de la confiance entre les forces en présence.
- aider le Gouvernement à surveiller les frontières, en prêtant une attention particulière à la situation des réfugiés libériens et aux mouvements de combattants.
- aider le Gouvernement de réconciliation nationale à procéder au regroupement de toutes les forces ivoiriennes concernées par le désarmement, la démobilisation et la réinsertion (DDR) des combattants. ... [selon les informations de l'éditeur du site; éditeurs ilissAfrica]
The UN Integrated Bureau for Burundi was created to assist the Government in its efforts towards peace and stability, through coherent and coordinated response of the UN System in Burundi. BINUB concentrates its activities on four domains:
* Peace consolidation and democratic governance;
* Disarmament, demobilization, reinsertion and reform of the security sector;
* Promotion and protection of human rights and measures to end impunity;
* Donors and United Nations agency coordination. ... [according to site editor's information]
The International Peacebuilding Alliance, Interpeace, works only with local partners in divided societies to build lasting peace. It works in close partnership with the United Nations and this relationship is formalized in a Memorandum of Understanding and is carried out operationally through the UN Development Programme/Interpeace Joint Programme Unit (JPU). ... [according to site editor's information]
The mission of OSAA is to:
* enhance international support for Africa's development and security through its advocacy and analytical work,
* assist the Secretary General in improving coherence and coordination of the UN system support to Africa, and
* facilitate inter-governmental deliberations on Africa at the global level, in particular relating to the New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD).
The Office takes the lead in the preparation of Africa-related reports and inputs on NEPAD. ... [according to site editor's information]
Founded in December 1994 by a group of African Trainers in Conflict Transformation, Peacebuilding and Community Development APT has over the years developed to become a leading Training Provider in Participatory methodologies especially forum theatre and the application of the same in Conflict Transformation, Community Development and Child Rehabilitation. APT is heavily rooted in African Traditional models of communication and also informed by the theories and works of Paulo Freire and Augusto Boal.
APT is based in Nairobi and runs most of the Donor Supported programs within the Country. APT also offers Consultancy Services and has experience working in different parts of the world. ... [according to site editor's information]
MONUSCO took over from an earlier UN peacekeeping operation – the United Nations Organization Mission in Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUC) – on 1 July 2010. It was done in accordance with Security Council resolution 1925 of 28 May to reflect the new phase reached in the country.The new mission has been authorized to use all necessary means to carry out its mandate relating, among other things, to the protection of civilians, humanitarian personnel and human rights defenders under imminent threat of physical violence and to support the Government of the DRC in its stabilization and peace consolidation efforts.
The site informs about the mandate and activities of MONUSCO. ... [according to site editor's information; editors ilissAfrica]
Fambul Tok (Krio for “Family Talk”) emerged in Sierra Leone as a face-to-face community-owned program bringing together perpetrators and victims of the violence in Sierra Leone’s eleven-year civil war through ceremonies rooted in the local traditions of war-torn villages. It provides Sierra Leonean citizens with an opportunity to come to terms with what happened during the war, to talk, to heal, and to chart a new path forward, together. Developed and first implemented by the Sierra Leonean human rights organization, Forum of Conscience, and the U.S.-based operating foundation, Catalyst for Peace, Fambul Tok incorporated as an international non-governmental organization, Fambul Tok International (FTI), in late 2009, with the program in Sierra Leone as its flagship project....