Créé en 1973 pendant une période de sécheresse touchant la région afin de mobiliser les populations sahéliennes et la communauté internationale autour de l'aide d'urgence, le CILSS a recentré ses activités depuis 1990 autour de la sécurité alimentaire et de la gestion des ressources naturelles. Son objectif général est
* la formulation, l'analyse, la coordination et l'harmonisation des stratégies et politiques ;
* le renforcement de la coopération scientifique et technique ;
* la collecte, le traitement et la diffusion des informations ;
* le renforcement des capacités des différents acteurs, y compris le secteur privé ;
* la capitalisation et la diffusion des expériences et des acquis ;
* l'accompagnement dans la mise en oeuvre des stratégies, des politiques et des programmes. ... [selon les informations de l'éditeur du site; rédaction ilissAfrica]
ARMTI is a parastatal organisation under the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development with the mission to improve management practice in the agricultural and rural sector through appropriate management interventions. It provides
• management training;
• consultancy and advisory services;
• conducts applied management research, special and diagnostic studies;
• disseminates agricultural and rural information; and
• contributes to policy development which would enhance better managememt of the agricultural and rural sector in Nigeria. ... [according to site editor's information; editors ilissAfrica]
L'INSAH est une institution spécialisée du Comité Permanent Inter Etats de lutte contre la Sécheresse dans le Sahel (CILSS). Son mandat est de coordonner, d'harmoniser et de promouvoir les études et recherches sur l'agriculture, l'environnement, les marchés et les questions de population/développement. [selon les informations de l'éditeur du site]
ANAFE is a network of 132 educational institutions in 37 African countries whose objective is to strengthen the teaching of multi-disciplinary approaches to land management. The ANAFE Secretariat is hosted at the International Centre for Research in Agroforestry (ICRAF) headquarters in Nairobi. [according to site editor's information]
UNU-INRA undertakes research, education and information-sharing activities that
* advance food security by challenging African scientists to collaborate with UNU-INRA to: (a) develop new knowledge and validate/disseminate the indigenous knowledge of African farmers, herders and forest dwellers, (b) add value to Africa's primary products through applied science and technology and (c) focus on education and training of young scientists in cutting-edge science.
* Link natural resource knowledge to policy formulation, problem-solving, and long-term planning processes.
* Emphasize the critical role played by African women in the conservation and management of natural resources.
Currently, UNU-INRA's activities focus on four main thematic areas:(1) Climate, water, land, (2) Biodiversity, medicinal plants, (3) Innovations, socio-economics, policy, and (4) Capacity building ... [according to site editor's information]
The Botswana College of Agriculture (BCA) is a body corporate, and hence a parastatal under the Ministry of Agriculture and an associate institution of the University of Botswana. Its mission is to produce high quality graduates, generate suitable technologies and provide advisory services to improve agriculture productivity through:
* innovative teaching;
* relevant research; and
* customer-driven service ... [according to site editor's information]
PLAAS does research, policy engagement, teaching and training about the dynamics of chronic poverty and structural inequality in Southern Africa, with a particular emphasis on the key role of restructuring and contesting land holding and agro-food systems in the subcontinent and beyond. The focus is on the analysis of marginalised livelihoods in Southern Africa, especially of subsistence and smallholder farmers and farm workers, of coastal and inland artisanal fisheries and fishing communities; and of informal self employment in rural and urban areas. ... [According to site editor's information]
The purpose of the Forum for Food Security in Southern Africa, which has operated since 2003, is to provide a platform for improved linkages between food security analysis, policy making and implementation in the Southern Africa region. The outputs of country issues papers, regional theme papers, international electronic discussions and country policy seminars are intended to generate insights and policy options drawing on longitudinal research in the region and comparative international evidence that it is hoped will prove useful to stakeholders.
The platform covers the region as a whole and five specific countries: Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe. It has brought together those in government, official donors, NGOs, civil society, the private sector, and international and regional researchers concerned with food security.
Related documents are downloadable. ... [according to site editor's information; editors ilissAfrica]
Afrique Verte is a French NGO that promotes food security and sustainable development in the Sahel (Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger). Afrique Verte
* Reinforces the professional capacities of small-farmer organizations;
* Participates in the consolidation the structuring of small-farmer organizations;
* Promotes the marketing of local cereal
In France and Europe, Afrique Verte:
* Promotes a more accurate appreciation of Africa among the general public;
* Participates in lobbying activities promoting sustainable development. ... [according to site editor's information]
The mission of the International Food Policy Research Institute is to identify and analyze policies for sustainably meeting the food needs of the developing world. Research at IFPRI concentrates on economic growth and poverty alleviation in low-income countries, improvement of the well-being of poor people, and sound management of the natural resource base that supports agriculture. IFPRI seeks to make its research results available to all those in a position to use them and to strengthen institutions in developing countries that conduct research relevant to its mandate.
IFPRI's discussion papers are available fulltext on the site. A varietyof country-specific datasets are provided on request. ... [According to site editor's information]