ACTS is an international intergovernmental science, technology and environmental policy think-tank that generates and disseminates new knowledge through policy analysis, capacity building and outreach. The centre strives to rationalize scientific and technological information to enable African countries make effective policy choices for improved living standards. ACTS works with partners and networks including academic and research institutions, national governments, UN bodies, regional and international processes and NGOs. ACTS' research and capacity building activities are organised in five programmatic areas:
* Biodiversity and Environmental Governance;
* Energy and Water Security;
* Agriculture and Food Security;
* Cross-Cutting Issues; and
* Science and Technology Literacy.
Its members include the the governments of Kenya, Malawi, Malta, Uganda and Ghana, as well as the World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) and the Third World Academy of Sciences (TWAS). ... [according to site editor's information]
The AGRHYMET Regional Centre is a specialized institute of the Permanent Interstate Committee for Drought Control in the Sahel (CILSS). Its primary objectives are:
* to contribute to achieving food security and increased agricultural production in the CILSS member States
* to improve natural resource management in the Sahelian region
by providing training and information to development stakeholders and partners in agroecology taken as a whole (agroclimatology, hydrology, crop protection). It is specialized in the science and techniques applied to agricultural development, rural development and natural resource management. ... [according to site editor's information]
UNU-INRA undertakes research, education and information-sharing activities that
* advance food security by challenging African scientists to collaborate with UNU-INRA to: (a) develop new knowledge and validate/disseminate the indigenous knowledge of African farmers, herders and forest dwellers, (b) add value to Africa's primary products through applied science and technology and (c) focus on education and training of young scientists in cutting-edge science.
* Link natural resource knowledge to policy formulation, problem-solving, and long-term planning processes.
* Emphasize the critical role played by African women in the conservation and management of natural resources.
Currently, UNU-INRA's activities focus on four main thematic areas:(1) Climate, water, land, (2) Biodiversity, medicinal plants, (3) Innovations, socio-economics, policy, and (4) Capacity building ... [according to site editor's information]
Créé en 1973 pendant une période de sécheresse touchant la région afin de mobiliser les populations sahéliennes et la communauté internationale autour de l'aide d'urgence, le CILSS a recentré ses activités depuis 1990 autour de la sécurité alimentaire et de la gestion des ressources naturelles. Son objectif général est
* la formulation, l'analyse, la coordination et l'harmonisation des stratégies et politiques ;
* le renforcement de la coopération scientifique et technique ;
* la collecte, le traitement et la diffusion des informations ;
* le renforcement des capacités des différents acteurs, y compris le secteur privé ;
* la capitalisation et la diffusion des expériences et des acquis ;
* l'accompagnement dans la mise en oeuvre des stratégies, des politiques et des programmes. ... [selon les informations de l'éditeur du site; rédaction ilissAfrica]
Biosafe Train is a capacity building project on biosafety and ecological impact assessment of transgenic plants in East Africa funded by the programme on Enhancement of Research Capacity (ENRECA), Danida. The long-term vision of the project is to build up capacity to cope with the challenges of introducing genetically modified crops in East Africa by developing a platform for capacity building on biosafety impact assessment of transgenic plants.
The project is a collaboration with scientists from University of Nairobi and Kenya Agricultural Research Institute in Kenya, Makerere University in Uganda, University of Dar es Salaam in Tanzania, University of Aarhus and University of Copenhagen, Denmark. ... [according to site editor's information; editors ilissAfrica]
Afrique Verte is a French NGO that promotes food security and sustainable development in the Sahel (Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger). Afrique Verte
* Reinforces the professional capacities of small-farmer organizations;
* Participates in the consolidation the structuring of small-farmer organizations;
* Promotes the marketing of local cereal
In France and Europe, Afrique Verte:
* Promotes a more accurate appreciation of Africa among the general public;
* Participates in lobbying activities promoting sustainable development. ... [according to site editor's information]
L'IPD/AOS est un de quatre instituts régional de l'Institut Panafricain pour le Développement (IPD) qui s'occupe du renforcement des compétences du personnel de développement en Afrique. L'IPD/AOS recouvre le Bénin, le Burkina Faso, le Cap Vert, la Côte d'Ivoire, la Guinée, la Guinée Bissau, le Mali, la Mauritanie, le Niger, le Sénégal, le Tchad et le Togo. Les activités de l'organisation non-gouvernementale sont axées sur
* la formation des agents du développement en particulier ceux du développement rural,
* l'appui/le conseil aux organisations à la base, aux associations et aux ONG,
* la recherche/l´action au profit des structures de développement. ... [selon les informations de l'éditeur du site; rédaction ilissAfrica]
The mission of the International Food Policy Research Institute is to identify and analyze policies for sustainably meeting the food needs of the developing world. Research at IFPRI concentrates on economic growth and poverty alleviation in low-income countries, improvement of the well-being of poor people, and sound management of the natural resource base that supports agriculture. IFPRI seeks to make its research results available to all those in a position to use them and to strengthen institutions in developing countries that conduct research relevant to its mandate.
IFPRI's discussion papers are available fulltext on the site. A varietyof country-specific datasets are provided on request. ... [According to site editor's information]
The purpose of the Forum for Food Security in Southern Africa, which has operated since 2003, is to provide a platform for improved linkages between food security analysis, policy making and implementation in the Southern Africa region. The outputs of country issues papers, regional theme papers, international electronic discussions and country policy seminars are intended to generate insights and policy options drawing on longitudinal research in the region and comparative international evidence that it is hoped will prove useful to stakeholders.
The platform covers the region as a whole and five specific countries: Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe. It has brought together those in government, official donors, NGOs, civil society, the private sector, and international and regional researchers concerned with food security.
Related documents are downloadable. ... [according to site editor's information; editors ilissAfrica]
The IGAD mission is to assist and complement the efforts of the Member States to achieve, through increased cooperation:
* Food Security and environmental protection
* Promotion and maintenance of peace and security and humanitarian affairs, and,
* Economic cooperation and integration.
IGAD is to be the premier regional organization for achieving peace, prosperity and regional integration in the IGAD region. ... [according to site editor's information]