Large parts of West Africa have experienced instability and conflict for several years. In response to an ECOWAS leaders call for a sub-regional approach to peace and security the UN Security Council has established UNOWA - the first UN regional peace-building office. Its mandate ist to harmonize UN activities and to promote the integration of a sub-regional approach to peace and security. ... [editors ilissAfrica]
The mission of OSAA is to:
* enhance international support for Africa's development and security through its advocacy and analytical work,
* assist the Secretary General in improving coherence and coordination of the UN system support to Africa, and
* facilitate inter-governmental deliberations on Africa at the global level, in particular relating to the New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD).
The Office takes the lead in the preparation of Africa-related reports and inputs on NEPAD. ... [according to site editor's information]
The KAIPTC aims to be a Regional Centre of Excellence where education, training and research concerning peace operations are to be delivered to the highest academic and professional standards. Participants embrace the full spectrum of military, security sector, diplomatic and non-governmental agencies likely to be involved in peace operations. KAIPTC offers Ghanaian, regional and international participants the opportunity to examine specific peace operations issues at the operational level and to update and share their knowledge of the latest practices through conferences, discussions, lectures and computer assisted training exercises. ... [according to site editor's information; Redaktion ilissAfrica]
UNMIL was established by Security Council resolution in September 2003 with the following mandate:
* Support for Implementation of the Ceasefire Agreement
* Protection of United Nations Staff, Facilities and Civilians
* Support for Humanitarian and Human Rights Assistance
* Support for Security Reform
* Support for Implementation of the Peace Process
The site gives access to numerous documents. ... [according to site editor's information]
NBI is a partnership of the Nile Basin states. It seeks to develop the river in a cooperative manner, share substantial socioeconomic benefits, and promote regional peace and security. According to the policy guidelines the objectives are inter alia
- to develop the Nile Basin water resources in a sustainable and equitable way to ensure prosperity, security, and peace for all its peoples,
- to ensure efficient water management and the optimal use of the resources,
- to ensure cooperation and joint action between the riparian countries,
- to target poverty eradication and promote economic integration. ... [according to site editor's information; editors ilissAfrica]
L'ONUCI est une opération de maintien de la paix sous le Chapitre VII de la Charte des Nations Unies. Le déploiement en Côte d'Ivoire adébuté en avril 2004. Le mandat de l'ONUCI est entre autres :
- observer et surveiller l'application de l'accord de cessez-le-feu global du 3 mai 2003 et de la déclaration conjointe de fin de guerre en date du 6 avril 2005, qui a résulté de l'Accord de Pretoria, et contrôler les mouvements des groupes armés.
- contribuer au rétablissement de la confiance entre les forces en présence.
- aider le Gouvernement à surveiller les frontières, en prêtant une attention particulière à la situation des réfugiés libériens et aux mouvements de combattants.
- aider le Gouvernement de réconciliation nationale à procéder au regroupement de toutes les forces ivoiriennes concernées par le désarmement, la démobilisation et la réinsertion (DDR) des combattants. ... [selon les informations de l'éditeur du site; éditeurs ilissAfrica]
MONUSCO took over from an earlier UN peacekeeping operation – the United Nations Organization Mission in Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUC) – on 1 July 2010. It was done in accordance with Security Council resolution 1925 of 28 May to reflect the new phase reached in the country.The new mission has been authorized to use all necessary means to carry out its mandate relating, among other things, to the protection of civilians, humanitarian personnel and human rights defenders under imminent threat of physical violence and to support the Government of the DRC in its stabilization and peace consolidation efforts.
The site informs about the mandate and activities of MONUSCO. ... [according to site editor's information; editors ilissAfrica]
The UN Integrated Bureau for Burundi was created to assist the Government in its efforts towards peace and stability, through coherent and coordinated response of the UN System in Burundi. BINUB concentrates its activities on four domains:
* Peace consolidation and democratic governance;
* Disarmament, demobilization, reinsertion and reform of the security sector;
* Promotion and protection of human rights and measures to end impunity;
* Donors and United Nations agency coordination. ... [according to site editor's information]
The Sasakawa Africa Association (SAA), a registered NGO, works with its partner, the Global 2000 program of the Carter Center, under the name SG 2000, in different sub-Saharan Africa countries. The main focus are the problems small famers; it promotes higher-yielding technology for maize, wheat, rice, grain legumes, and roots and tubers. At the moment SSA works in Ethiopia, Mali, Nigeria and Uganda. The SSA is financed by the Nippon foundation. ... [according to site editor's information; editors ilissAfrica]
Christian Mission Aid is a non-denominational, non-profit organization working on relief and development projects in Kenya, Uganda and Sudan. CMA’s primary focus is to help others help themselves. It works in partnership with donors and supporters, Christian Missions, Churches, and other NGOs. The goal is to provide assistance, training, and resources so that the people it serves can continue along the path to self-sufficiency. ... [according to site editor's information; editors ilissAfrica]