The Institute for Security Studies with its head office in Pretoria, South Africa, and offices in Kenya, Ethiopia and Senegal offers a huge range of resources concerning security topics in Africa (e.g. more than 200 e-books since 1996, studies, audio material, journals, news, ....). All of this is available online for free. [editors ilissAfrica]
Following UN Security Council Resolutions that considered the conflicts in the region to be a threat to international peace and security the ICGLR was established in 2000. The ICGLR's objective is to bring all the countries of the region together, to agree on a strategy thats brings peace and prosperity to the Great Lakes region. The work concentrates on
- Peace and Security
- Democracy and Good Governance
- Economic Development and Regional Integration
- Humanitarian, Social and Environmental Issues.
The ICGLR comprises eleven core countries (Angola, Burundi, Central African Republic, Congo (Kinshasa), Congo (Brazzaville), Kenya, Rwanda, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia, co-opted countries (Botswana, Egypt, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia and Zimbabwe) and the "Group of Friends" (mainly Western countries). ... [according to site editor's information; editors ilissAfrica]
"The Swiss Peace Foundation is a practice-oriented peace research institute. We analyze the causes of violent conflicts and develop strategies for their peaceful transformation." On its Sudan Platform, you will find several fulltext articles and further information on the Foundation about its research on and in the Sudan. [according to site editor’s information] ... [supplemented]
The UN Integrated Bureau for Burundi was created to assist the Government in its efforts towards peace and stability, through coherent and coordinated response of the UN System in Burundi. BINUB concentrates its activities on four domains:
* Peace consolidation and democratic governance;
* Disarmament, demobilization, reinsertion and reform of the security sector;
* Promotion and protection of human rights and measures to end impunity;
* Donors and United Nations agency coordination. ... [according to site editor's information]
Information about a Cooperative Research Project at the University of Bremen on "Governance and Social Action in Sudan after the Peace Agreement of January 2005: local, national, and regional dimensions". The research is done with the financing of the Volkswagen Foundation and its support programme "Knowledge for Tomorrow: Cooperative Research Projects in Sub-Saharan Africa. Political, Economic, and Social Dynamics in Sub-Saharan Africa". You will find a lot of information on the project, about conferences, literature (incl. fulltext documents), partners and much more. ... [editors ilissAfrica]
The Conflict Early Warning and Response Mechanism (CEWARN) is a collaborative effort of the seven IGAD Member States (Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Sudan and Uganda) and one of IGAD’s programmes targeted at mitigating and preventing violent conflicts in the sub-region. Since its establishment in 2002, CEWARN has been functioning with a particular focus on cross-border pastoralist and related conflicts. ... [according to site editor's information]
L'ONUCI est une opération de maintien de la paix sous le Chapitre VII de la Charte des Nations Unies. Le déploiement en Côte d'Ivoire adébuté en avril 2004. Le mandat de l'ONUCI est entre autres :
- observer et surveiller l'application de l'accord de cessez-le-feu global du 3 mai 2003 et de la déclaration conjointe de fin de guerre en date du 6 avril 2005, qui a résulté de l'Accord de Pretoria, et contrôler les mouvements des groupes armés.
- contribuer au rétablissement de la confiance entre les forces en présence.
- aider le Gouvernement à surveiller les frontières, en prêtant une attention particulière à la situation des réfugiés libériens et aux mouvements de combattants.
- aider le Gouvernement de réconciliation nationale à procéder au regroupement de toutes les forces ivoiriennes concernées par le désarmement, la démobilisation et la réinsertion (DDR) des combattants. ... [selon les informations de l'éditeur du site; éditeurs ilissAfrica]
UMUSEKE.COM/UMUSEKE.RW is a news portal written in English and Kinyarwanda operating since the beginning of March 2011, articles focus on peacemaking, reconciliation, entrepreneurship, good governance, healthy living advice, gospel, relationships, sport, entertainment, photos, videos, career & Jobs, history of Rwanda and international news. ... [according to site editor's information]
The Peace and Security Department (PSD), works across Africa. However, they have liaison offices and field missions in the continent that further help to reach out to the people on the ground. Each of these field missions and liaison offices have their own staff structures together with current and proposed mandates of their own. ... [according to site editor's information]
AFRICAphonie is a Pan African Association which operates on the premise that AFRICA can only be what AFRICANS and their friends want AFRICA to be.Towards fulfilling it's mission, AFRICAphonie aims:1)To promote person-to-person dialogue through seminars, workshops and conferences between main political actors, vulnerable sectors, and grassroots organisations; 2)To expose the public to documentation (video, audio, paint) on Peace and PanAfricanism; 3)To act as advocates and lobbyists for a peaceful Africa Renaissance; 4)To encourage research and education on issues of democracy, development, human rights and enviroment protection inspired by indigenous knowledge of AFRICA; 5)To build linkages and networks with local and international Peace and PanAfrican Organisations. ... [according to site editor's information]