EISA is non-profit organisation, established 1996 and based in Johannesburg, that strives for credible elections, participatory democracy, human rights culture, and the strengthening of governance institutions. Having field offices in Kinshasa (DR Congo), Antananarivo (Madagascar), Abidjan (Cote d'Ivoire), N'djamema (Chad), Khartoum (Sudan), Bujumbura (Burundi), Nairobi (Kenya) and Maputo (Mozambique) its regional focus is no more on Southern Africa alone. EISA works in a number of programme areas, including
* Democracy, conflict management and electoral education
* Elections and political processes
* Balloting and electoral services
* Governance (political partes, APRM, institutions of governance and local governance)
* Online Democracy Encyclopedia
* Research and information (including a specialised library and in house publications).
EISA's work is supported by local, regional and international funding organisations.
A number of reports is downloadable. ... [according to site editor's information; editors ilissAfrica]
Funded by Western donors the mission of IED is to promote democracy through programmes in the electoral process, voter education, research and dissemination programmes. IED seeks to
* contribute towards the realisation of the conduct of free and fair elections,* enhance the creation of an informed voting population,
* develop and facilitate the availability of scientific and technical information relating to the electoral process. ... [editors ilissAfrica; according to site editor's information]