SAIIA has a long and proud record as South Africa’s premier research institute on international issues. It is an independent, non-government think-tank whose purpose is to encourage wider and more informed awareness of the importance of international affairs. It is both a centre for research excellence and a home for stimulating public debate.
The Institute’s activities include:
- making input into policy development locally and internationally;
- undertaking research on current issues of importance to Africa generally and South Africa specifically with a focus on governance and accountability; trade, investment (i.e. economic diplomacy) and development ; South African foreign policy; existing and emerging powers and their role in Africa; and lastly, global challenges such as climate change and energy security;
- developing linkages and joint programmes with international organisations and agencies throughout the world;
- maintaining a resource centre and reference library (that is a United Nations depository as well as a World Bank Development Information Centre) for students and scholars of international relations;
- organising conferences, seminars and speakers’ meetings on a wide range of topics addressed by prominent South Africans and distinguished international guests; and
- encouraging an interest in international relations among the youth through its leadership programme for postgraduate interns and its various outreach programmes for university students and high school learners. ... [according to site editor's information]