The National Endowment for Democracy (NED) is a private, nonprofit organization created in 1983 to strengthen democratic institutions around the world through nongovernmental efforts. The Endowment is governed by an independent, nonpartisan board of directors. With its annual congressional appropriation, it makes hundreds of grants each year to support prodemocracy groups in Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, and the former Soviet Union. ... [according to site editors' information]
SAIIA has a long and proud record as South Africa’s premier research institute on international issues. It is an independent, non-government think-tank whose purpose is to encourage wider and more informed awareness of the importance of international affairs. It is both a centre for research excellence and a home for stimulating public debate.
The Institute’s activities include:
- making input into policy development locally and internationally;
- undertaking research on current issues of importance to Africa generally and South Africa specifically with a focus on governance and accountability; trade, investment (i.e. economic diplomacy) and development ; South African foreign policy; existing and emerging powers and their role in Africa; and lastly, global challenges such as climate change and energy security;
- developing linkages and joint programmes with international organisations and agencies throughout the world;
- maintaining a resource centre and reference library (that is a United Nations depository as well as a World Bank Development Information Centre) for students and scholars of international relations;
- organising conferences, seminars and speakers’ meetings on a wide range of topics addressed by prominent South Africans and distinguished international guests; and
- encouraging an interest in international relations among the youth through its leadership programme for postgraduate interns and its various outreach programmes for university students and high school learners. ... [according to site editor's information]
The Center is an independent, nonpartisan and nonprofit research-based and policy-oriented think tank in Accra, Ghana. It is dedicated to the promotion of democracy, good governance and the development of a liberal political and economic environment in Ghana in particular and Africa in general.
On the website you can find some of the publications of CDD online. ... [according to site editor's information]
Freedom House, a non-profit, nonpartisan organization, is a clear voice for democracy and freedom around the world. Through a vast array of international programs and publications, Freedom House is working to advance the remarkable worldwide expansion of political and economic freedom. [...] Freedom House is led by a Board of Trustees composed of leading Democrats, Republicans, and independents; business and labor leaders; former senior government officials; scholars; writers; and journalists. All are united in the view that American leadership in international affairs is essential to the cause of human rights and freedom. ... [According to the site editor's information]
CMI is an independent development research institute in Bergen, Norway. They generate and communicate research-based knowledge relevant for fighting poverty, advancing human rights, reducing conflict and promoting sustainable social development. CMI’s research focuses on local and global challenges and opportunities facing low- and middle-income countries and their citizens. The geographic orientation is towards Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America. ... [according to site editor's information]
Der NCA stand seit 1967 an der Spitze des norwegischen Kampfes gegen die Apartheid und arbeitet für Demokratie und Gerechtigkeit im südlichen Afrika. Die Webseite bietet vom NCA herausgebrachte Hintergrundartikel und Nachrichten. Die Webseite war vor allem wegen ihrer Linksammlung mit über 3.800 Links bekannt, die nach Land, Fach und Nachrichten gegliedert waren. Seit ca. Frühjahr 2010 ist diese Linksammlung jedoch nicht mehr online. ... [Redaktion ilissAfrica]
The CSR is a research institution within the Faculty of Social Science of the University of Malawi in Zomba. It undertakes both basic and applied research so as to generate information on priority problems of the country and channel the information to policy makers and planners. Main fields of research are:
- Poverty and sustainable livelihoods
- Environmental management and access to natural resources
- Social and cultural dimensions of public health
- Democracy and governance ... [according to site editor's information]
International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. Its objective is to strengthen democratic institutions and processes.
It acts as a catalyst for democracy building by providing knowledge resources, expertise and a platform for debate on democracy issues. It works together with policy makers, donor governments, UN organizations and agencies, regional organizations and others engaged in democracy building.
* Knowledge resources, in the form of expert networks, databases, handbooks and websites;
* Policy proposals to provoke debate and action on democracy;
* Assistance with democratic reform in response to specific national requests.
[according to site editor's information]
Research papers, some in French, are downloadable....
Das Institut Panos Afrique de l'Ouest (IPAO) ist eine Nichregierungsorganisation (NGO). Sie befasst sich vor allem mit den Medien in Westafrika, mit Schwerpunkt auf deren Rolle in den Bereichen Zivilgesellschaft, Good Governance oder Demokratie. [Redaktion ilissAfrica]